I was given a veggie lasagna recipe from a friend and have been dying to try it. On Saturday we hit up the farmer’s market for some veggies and made a big lasagna feast! To the recipe below I added two cloves of finely chopped garlic and some onion. This lasagna literally melts in your mouth. Enjoy!
o 1 ½ cups light chunky mushroom & garlic pasta sauce (or your favorite sauce)
o 1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
o 2 cups fat free cottage cheese
o ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
o ¼ teaspoon pepper
o Cooking spray
o 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
o 3 cups shredded zucchini (3 medium-sized)
o 6 (1-ounce) slices of provolone cheese, each cut into 6 strips
o You can also use other veggies (can of frozen box spinach, shredded carrots, mushrooms, etc.)
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Combine pasta sauce and tomatoes; stir well and set aside.
3. Combine cottage cheese, parmesan cheese and pepper; stir well and set aside.
4. Spread 1/3 of the tomato mixture into bottom of a 13” x 9” baking dish coasted with cooking spray.
o Place three uncooked noodles over tomato mixture
o Top with 1/3 of the zucchini
o Spread 1/3 of cottage cheese mixture over zucchini
o Top with 12 provolone cheese strips (2 full slices cut up)
o You can layer the other veggies as you desire
6. Repeat layers twice with remaining tomato mixture, noodles, zucchini, cottage cheese mixture and provolone strips.
7. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
NOTE: Uncooked casserole may be covered and refrigerated overnight. Let chilled lasagna stand at room temperature 30 minutes and then bake according to instructions above.